Five London bars were named in The World’s 50 Best Bars sponsored by Perrier tonight at a ceremony in Barcelona.
Monica Berg and Alex Kratena’s Old Street bar Tayēr + Elementary was named runner-up for the second year running, with Paradiso from the Awards’ host city for 2022 taking top spot.
The 2020 and 2021 champion Connaught Bar finished eighth this year. The Ago Perrone-led Mayfair hotel bar has finished in the top 10 of the list eight times in a row and has been present in each ot the last 13 lists – a record unmatched.
Satan’s Whiskers in Bethnal Green, which celebrates 10 years in business in 2023, made its debut in the 1-50 list this year, finishing in 23rd.
Mia Johansson and Bobby Hiddleston’s Swift in Soho returned to the list this year, placing 30th, having landed softly in the 51-100 list in 2021.
While Remy Savage and Paul Lougrat’s A Bar with Shapes for a Name in Dalston, was also a new entry in The World’s 50 Best Bars, having finished 77th last year.
With six bars in the list, New York was named the cocktail capital, with London contributing the second most and Mexico City with four. Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Athens, and Dubai each have three bars on the list.
Singapore’s number shrunk from six to two, while Shanghai’s three bars all dropped off the list.
Nineteen bars left the list this year, one less than last year’s 20, and of the bars that joined, five have appeared before and 26 different cities are represented, up from 23.
Regionally, Europe is home to 20 bars, North America 12, Asia’s numbers halved to eight, South America five, Africa & The Middle East three and Australasia two.
The World’s 50 Best Bars sponsored by Perrier, which is owned and run by William Reed, is now in its 14th year and voted for by an academy of 650 bar industry experts, independently adjudicated by Deloitte.
- Paradiso, Barcelona, Spain
- Tayēr + Elementary, London, UK
- Sips, Barcelona, Spain
- Licorería Limantour, Mexico City, Mexico
- Little Red Door, Paris, France
- Double Chicken Please, New York, US
- Two Schmucks, Barcelona, Spain
- Connaught Bar, London, UK
- Katana Kitten, New York, US
- Alquímico, Cartagena, Colombia
- Handshake Speakeasy, Mexico City, Mexico
- Jigger & Pony, Singapore
- Hanky Panky, Mexico City, Mexico
- BKK Social Club, Bangkok, Thailand
- Salmon Guru, Madrid, Spain
- Drink Kong, Rome, Italy
- Coa, Hong Kong, China
- Florería Atlántico, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- The Clumsies, Athens Greece
- Baba au Ru, Athens, Greece
- Café La Trova, Miami, US
- Attaboy, New York, US
- Satan’s Whiskers, London, UK
- Tropic City, Bangkok, Thailand
- Kumiko, Chicago, US
- Sidecar, New Delhi, India
- Tres Mono, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Argo, Hong Kong, China
- Maybe Sammy, Sydney, Australia
- Swift, London, UK
- Line, Athens, Greece
- Baltra Bar, Mexico City, Mexico
- Manhattan, Singapore
- Overstory, New York, US
- 1930, Milan, Italy
- Dante, New York, US
- A Bar with Shapes for a Name, London, UK
- Zuma, Dubai, UAE
- Locale Firenze, Florence, Italy
- Red Frog, Lisbon, Portugal
- Cantina OK!, Sydney, Australia
- CoChinChina, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Himkok, Oslo, Norway
- Carnaval, Lima, Peru
- Galaxy Bar, Dubai, UAE
- L’Antiruario, Naples, Italy
- Employees Only, New York, US
- Bar Benfiddich, Tokyo, Japan
- Lucy’s Flower Shop, Stockholm, Sweden
- Bulgari Bar, Dubai, UAE